Province of Perugia - Tourist Information I.A.T. Tel 0743-71401, Town Hall Tel.0743-79285
Population: 135 (Poiani); surface sq km: 40.01, height above sea level 974 m, distance from Perugia: Km 92, Tel. Dial/Area Code. 0743; Zip/Postal Code 06040; Train Station (FS Spoleto) to 50 km; Motorway/Highway: Autostrada del Sole (Florence-Rome) see the town of Cascia.
Hamlets: Usigni, Mucciafora, Roccatamburo.
Poggiodomo is located nearly a thousand feet high above sea level, on the eastern slopes of Mount Coscerno, in the upper valley of the River Tissino. The center of town was until Xl century part of the Lombard Duchy of Spoleto. Its geographical location has established Poggiodomo over the centuries as an ideal place to meditate and to seclude oneself, becoming a destination for monks, hermits and mystics who, in this place, where nature reigns supreme, found safe refuge from the turmoil of the wars that characterized the Middle Ages. Near several monastic cells scattered around Poggiodomo, the centers of existing hamlets evolved in the thirteenth century, that today make up the City of Poggiodomo. Bitterly sought after by the city of Leonessa, Cascia, and Spoleto, it was eventually conquered by Spoleto sharing, from that moment, its historical events. In 1809, under the Napoleonic government, it was erected as a Municipality and, in 1816, with the papal maintained this title, and then reconfirmed as a Municipality in 1860 with the annexation of the Kingdom of Italy.
Poggiodomo gave birth to Cardinal Fausto Poli (XVI sec.).
WHAT TO SEE
Besides the extraordinary beauty offered by unspoiled natural surroundings, it is worth visiting the church of San Pietro which contains frescos from the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries; the Church of San Lorenzo from the fourteenth century, the Church of the Madonna delle Grazie; the Church of Sant 'Antonio Abate, and the church of San Carlo, from the seventeenth century. Also a worthy visit to: the hamlets of Mucciafora, the church of Our Lady of Mercy; the hamlet of Usigni, the church of San Salvatore by G.B. Bernini which houses a rich collection of religious textiles and the adjacent Palace of Cardinals in Baroque style, where you can find the cistern of Cardinal Poli, all in stone, with the Cardinal’s coat of arms. In the hamlet of Roccatamburo, lies the Hermitage of Our Lady of the Star, which consists of twenty monasteries housed in natural cavities of the rock and a typical Sanctuary, all dating back to the thirteenth century and also in this hamlet there is the churches of Saint Nicola and Saint Joseph.
With its 135 inhabitants Poggiodomo is the smallest Umbrian town with its economic activity predominantly in agricultural farms with sheep and whose milk is extracted by local dairies, producing excellent cheeses, and they also cultivate cereals and hunt black truffle.