Top  page
Sellano

Sellano

Province of Perugia - Tourist Information I.A.T. tel. 0742-354459/354165, Town Hall tel. 0743-926622

USEFUL FACTS

Population: 1166 (Sellanesi); surface: 85.54 sq km, height above sea level: 640 m.; Distance from Perugia: Km 66; Tel. Dial/Area Code 0743; Zip/Postal Code 06030; Train Station (FS in Foligno) to 32 km; Motorway/Highway: Autostrada del Sole (Rome) coming from Rome, exit at Orte, then E-45 Motorway towards Perugia-Foligno, exit Val di Chiana then from Florence Speedway/Highway direction Perugia-Foligno.

Hamlets: Apagni, Cammoro, Ceseggi, Molini, Montesanto, Orsano, Piaggia, Postignano, Pupaggi, Villamaggina, Torre di Cammoro.

HISTORY

Located on the south side of the Vigi River Valley, which concludes its run at the Nera Valley (la Valnerina). Sellano, according to legend, was founded in 84 B.C. by some followers of Silla (hence the name) had found refuge, after battling Spoleto, in the place where Silla is located today. In the Middle Ages, due to its strategic geographical position, was ruled by the Lombards and thus included in the Duchy of Spoleto. After being subjected to the rule of the Lords of Norcia, in the thirteenth century, it came under the rule of the Church, becoming, in the fourteenth century, a large land estate belonging to Calligola, Lords of Montesanto. In 1860 Sellano also voted for the annexation to the Kingdom of Italy.

HISTORICAL FIGURES

Sellano gave birth to the Blessed Jolo (XIII – XIV centuries) and the musician Domenico Mustafa (1829 - 1912).

WHAT TO SEE

Its landscape is considered one of the characteristics of the Valnerina which consists of mountains, forests, springs and curative mineral waters. The Vigi Pond lends itself as a destination for a day trip. The town also is represented by important traces of its journey through time : the Town Hall, with a beautiful sixteenth-century facade contains frescos of the sixteenth century; the church of San Francesco di Paola of the sixteenth century, in Bramantesco style, an octagonal design with a pronaos or prodrome topped by a tympanum and the body in a rectangular apse design. The interior has one nave and two aisles, containing valuable sixteenth-century chapels made ​​of wood or stone. The church of Santa Maria Assunta, built in the thirteenth century, rebuilt in the sixteenth century, contains: the remains of Blessed Jolo, a hermit who lived in the XIII - XIV century, (now the patron saint of Sellano); paintings of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries and two altars of great value.

WHAT TO SEE NEARBY

Apart from the scenic beauty of the area Sellano offers its hamlets interesting remains of castles and religious buildings that preserve valuable works. In the hamlet of Montesanto, stands an ancient walled castle, with sixteenth century buildings, and there is also a medieval fortress. The church of Santa Maria of the thirteenth century, rebuilt in the sixteenth century. The church houses sixteenth and seventeeth century paintings. A XV century walnut carved pulpit and a triptych, on a gold background from the XV century. In the hamlet of Postignano a must see is the beautiful medieval castle, with a tower topped by a hexagonal. In the hamlet of Cammoro the church of Santa Maria Novella, a rare example of a church roof, that is superimposed on an ancient street covered of which are still visible the two entrances: the first under the current facade of the church (obstructed by modern input scale) and the second, on the opposite side (at a lower height), which was the access of the castle. In the hamlet of Pupaggi, the church of San Sebastiano of the thirteenth century with its numerous XIV-XVI century frescos inside. In the hamlet of Sterpare, the church of Our Lady of Grace of the thirteenth century, which houses a wooden sculpture of the thirteenth century depicting the "Madonna with Child". In the hamlet of Petrognano, there is the church of Our Lady of the Cross of the sixteenth century. And in the hamlet of Ceseggi, the Parish Church houses a valuable statue by Luca della Robbia.

ECONOMY

Agricultural center of Spoleto, with production of mushrooms, truffles, accompanied by a flourishing craft industry operating in the wood industry, food industry and in metal tools, Sellano has been known since the Middle Ages for its handmade files and rasps whose secrets of construction have been handed down from father to son for generations. Within this area there are also important sources of water and a hydroelectric power plant operated by the Municipality.