Top  page


Province of Perugia - Tourist Information I.A.T. Tel 0742-354459-354165


Population: 8,337 (Trevani); 71.19 sq km area, height above sea level 412 m, distance from Perugia 35 Km; Tel. Area/Dial Code 0742; Zip/Postal Code 06039; Train Station (FS at Trevi Scalo) 3 km; Motorway/Highway: Autostrada del Sole (Rome) coming from Rome exit Orte, then take the SS Ranked # 3 Terni-Spoleto, coming from Florence exit Val di Chiana then continue towards Perugia-Spoleto.


Trevi perched on a the foot of the hilltop of Mount Serano, surrounded by a sea of ​​green olive trees, dominating the Spoleto Valley crossed by a stretch of the river Clitunno. Trevi was the center of the Umbrian foundation, mentioned by Plinio as well as Trebiae. They both recalled Trevi as one of the the most ancient towns of Umbria, located in the place where now stands the village of Pietrarossa. Trevi became a Roman Municipium: Trebiae. It was part of the VI Augustan Region, located along the Flaminia Road. Trevi enjoyed a period of great prosperity as evidenced by numerous archaeological finds and the mighty city walls (I century B.C.) still partly visible. It was also home to a Municipal Senate and its importance was linked not only to the Flaminia Road near the Clitunno Springs where pacifiable festivals celebrating the god of Jupiter and the god of Clitunno took place. At the time of the Emperor Diocletian, Christianity grew and was promoted in the area by Armenian Miliano (later becoming Emiliano), a bishop-martyr, who was beheaded in 304 A.D. With the fall of the Western Roman Empire, Trevi was occupied by the Lombards and became part of and subjected to the rule of the Duchy of Spoleto in 881 A.D. Trevi was devastated at the hand of the Saracens in 915 and in 924 by the Hungarians. In the XII century, it became a city exercising its jurisdiction over a vast territory. Involved in the game of political alliances with the powerful neighboring towns of Spoleto and Foligno, it was totally destroyed in 1214 by the Duke of Spoleto, but that did not stop the Trevani to rebuild and expand their mighty walls. In the mid-fifteenth century, the town worked with neighboring Municipalities on draining of the swamps and in 1470, first in Umbria and fourth in Italy, gave birth to a thriving print shop. In 1784, Pope Pius VI reaffirmed the title of the City and during the Napoleonic Empire was the seat of the Canton Department of Clitunno. After the Restoration, Trevi saw its surface reduced in favor of the neighboring towns. In 1860 it was annexed to the Kingdom of Italy.


The town gave birth to a typesetter Evangelista Angelini (XV), the musician Natalucci Tiberius, the philosopher and mathematician Francesco Francesconi (1823-1892), and missionary to Beato Antonio Fantosati (1842-1900).


The town was praised by the poet Giacomo Leopardi, who passed through here from Recanati when he went to Rome, still intact medieval walls (XIII cent.), within which are preserved the ancient houses and palaces, in a colorful pyramid, that rises up to the tip of Monte Serano. Trevi directing us to the SS. 3 (Flaminia) we find the church of Our Lady of Tears,(Madonna delle Lacrime), from the end of the fifteenth century, built as a result of a miraculous event reported to the effigy of a "Madonna and Child" which, in 1485, was seen to weep. The church, completed in 1522, has a beautiful Renaissance portal executed between 1495 and 1498 by the Venetian sculptor Giovanni Giampietro, and inside houses valuable works of art such as: a '"Epiphany" of 1521 by Perugino, frescos of Spain dating back to 1520 and seven "Gravestones" by Valenti (XVI-XVII c.) over the aforementioned fresco of the Madonna. After parking the car in Piazza Garibaldi, take via Roma where there is the Clitunno Theatre of the nineteenth century. Designed by the architect Domenico Mollaioli, containing a beautiful curtain painted by Domenico Bruschi. Restored in 1993 has been included in the regional circuits and its many shows throughout the year. Near the church of St. John the Beheaded, Neoclassical style, is Casa Petrucci, elegant Renaissance building whose facade retains scenes of profane graffiti depicting the "Myth of Diana and Actaeon." In this regard it is noted that in Trevi there are many buildings with frescos on the facades, the oldest of which is located on the facade of the former Convento San Bartolomeo which depicts a '"Annunciation" of the fifteenth century. Continuing we arrive in Piazza Mazzini where the Palazzo Comunale stands, from the thirteenth century. Restored several times in the XV-XVII centuries, there are valuable porticals from the fifteenth century, a balcony of the seventeenth century, and Renaissance windows. Next to the Town Hall stands the Torre Civica (City), construction of the thirteenth century, crowned with battlements and four corbels, and equipped with a large bell placed there in 1522. La Torre, lowered and restored in the fourteenth century, is the symbol of the old village, revived as an emblem on the coat arms of Trevi: a tower and three hawks. From Piazza Mazzini, along Via San Francesco, we come to the Museum Complex of St. Francis where we find the Church and Convent of the Church of St. Francesco, from the fourteenth century, inn Gothic style. It was erected to honor the saint who had preached in Trevi in 1213. The facade, a lunette above the portal, with a fourteenth-century fresco, while the interior contains the remains of Gioacomo Valenti in the tomb from the fourteenth century. Inside there are frescos on the walls of the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, a monumental organ of 1509 and a crucifix of the fourteenth century, work of art by the Maestro of the Crucifix of Trevi. The cloister of the convent annexed, has frescos by Bernardino Gagliardi of 1614. The premises of the former convent host the museum complex where there is the art collection of San Francesco, with paintings from the fourteenth to the seventeenth century (noting a triptych and polyptych of the Foligno school, and an altarpiece from Spain) and the Regional Museum of the Civilization of Oil. From the museum complex we take the characteristic medieval street Carlo Amici and turn onto via della Rocca where the church Sant 'Emiliano stands, from the twelfth century. The Romanesque church, several times renovated dating back to the XV-XVIII and XIX centuries, is presented by a facade that has a beautiful fifteenth-century portal crowned by a tympanum with high-relief portrayal of "Sant'Emiliano between the Lions." Of particular value is also the three apses (part of the original structure of the twelfth century). Interesting sculptural decorations. The interior houses valuable works of art including "Altar of the Sacrament," a work from 1522 by Rocco da Vicenza, a wooden crucifix of the XV century., A baptismal font of the fifteenth century. (brought here in 1969), the remains of Sant'Emiliano, here transferred from Spoleto in 1935, a wooden statue of the Patron Saint of the seventeenth century, while another statue of the Saint in 1750 by Pietro Epifani, is only exposed on January 28, on the feast onomastics. In front of the church of S. Emiliano is Lucarini Palace, one of the most prestigious in Trevi. Home to the Trevi Flash Art Museum, which hosted regular exhibitions of contemporary art at international levels. Reaching via Dogali we find the Portico of Mostaccio, one of the ancient gates of the original Roman city walls, and continuing along Via Tiberio Natalucci, we see Natalucci Palace, the characteristics of an Arab gate. Continue into the walls we leave Porta del Cieco (one of the ancient medieval gates, the others are: Porta Bruscito, Porta Nuova,, Porta della Strada and Porta di San Fabiano) and along Via delle Fonti pass in front of Villa Fabri, then back to Piazza Garibaldi. From here, taking Viale San Martino Ciuffelli and then off we meet first the Chapel of St. Jerome, beautifully frescoed by and artist referred as “dallo Spagna” and by Tiberio of Assisi, and next to the chapel, there is the Church of S. Martino with the adjoining convent. Situated in a panoramic position, the church of the fourteenth century, bears a fresco painting in the gate of Tiberius of Assisi; within works of Pierantonio Mezzastris and dello Spacca. Moving to the other side of town (Via delle Fonti, Porta del Cielo, on via delle Mura and on the via Piaggia Nuova) we arrive at the Church of the Crucifix which contains frescos dello Spacca, therefore, the Convent of St. Clare is adjacent to the church of Santa Croce (contemporary art) that holds a painting by Lazzaro Baldi. By far one of the most beautiful Renaissance palaces present in Trevi is Palace Valenti (private property) which contains one of the oldest archaeological sites in Umbria.


The territory Trevano, like the capital, is rich in history, art, culture and natural beauty that follow one another without interruption, in an alternation of valleys, of well-cultivated fields, green hills and streams, where there are two towers in view, like the Tower of Matigge of 1395 still perfectly preserved, and ancient abbeys and churches. Pietrarossa near the church of Santa Maria di Pietrarossa the fourteenth century., Contains frescoes of the XV and XVI century. In Bovara the church of San Pietro, a Benedictine construction from the twelfth century, with adjoining abbey of the same name (private property). The interior has a nave and two aisles, contains a wooden crucifix from the twelfth century. According to legend, he would speak to his companion about St. Francis (Friar Pacific) who both had spent the night here. The bell tower is from 1528. In the hamlet of Matigge, the church of St. Nicholas of the twelfth century with frescos from the mid-fourteenth century and in the vicinity of Manciano, on a hill, the ruins of the Abbey of St. Stephen, from the twelfth century. Near Trevi there are (in the territory of Campello sul Clitunno) the Temple of Clitunno and the Clitunno Springs.


Traditionally an agricultural town (we note the cultivation of the black celery), with excellent productions of extra virgin olive oil. The trade industry in Trevi is thriving with companies working in the paper industry, engineering, textiles, food and furniture, located in an industrial area in the valley. The craft in existence, with a long tradition, is distinguished by the art of embroidery (in St. Lucia in Piaggia), the processing of bronze and tin with items of street furniture (in Collecchio) and restoration of furniture and wicker chairs in Pigge. With regard to tourism, the amenity of the area, the historical-cultural-artistic heritage of Trevi and a good network of accommodations make the tourism sector the fastest growing with future prospects more than encouraging.